Pizza Braid – an Eye-Catcher on the Baking Tray
This recipe has been optimized for the Thermomix® TM31
- ½ cube of yeast
- 180g water
- 400g flour
- 50g olive oil
- 1 tsp. salt
- 400g peeled tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tbsp. pizza spice
- some salt and pepper
- 4 slices salami
- 2 slices boiled ham
- 1 tin of tuna
- 1 packet of grated cheese
For 3 Persons
- Print Recipe
- Only print Summary
We love pizza, no matter in which variations and shapes. That’s why I really came up with something extraordinary.
Anyone can make a normal pizza – but a pizza braid is a real eye-catcher. It’s almost like a calzone, but it’s different in appearance. This makes it very suitable for party buffets, for example.
But not only at the party buffet, but also just like that the pizza braid tastes fantastic. It can always be filled differently and thus is the perfect food for everyone! It is also a lot of fun to weave the pizza braid with the family – so everyone can create their own braid.
How do I prepare the pizza plait with the Thermomix?
First you preheat the oven to 220°C.
We start with the dough. Add half a cube of fresh yeast and 180g of water to the mixing bowl and mix for 1 minute at 100°C on speed 1. Then add 400g of flour, 50g of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt. Knead for 1:30 minute in dough mode.
This pizza braid succeeds quickly, but is by no means an everyday dish
As soon as the dough is ready, take it out of the Thermomix and place it on a surface covered with flour. I knead the dough once again briefly with my hand and then make a ball out of it.
Now divide this ball into 2 parts. Roll out the first part into an oval shape and place it on the baking tray. Repeat the same with the second part of the dough.
Now we prepare the sauce. To do this, first let the 400g peeled tomatoes drip off and then put them in the mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of tomato paste and mix for 15 seconds on speed 3. Just quickly add 1 tablespoon of pizza spice and some salt and pepper, stir in for 5 seconds on speed 2 and the tomato sauce is ready.
Spread the tomato sauce in the middle of the previously rolled out dough. But make sure that the left and right side are about 5cm free so that you can weave the braid afterwards!
Put the ingredients for the topping, i.e. the tin of tuna, 4 slices of salami and 2 slices of ham into the mixing bowl and chop them for 5 seconds on speed 5. If you don’t like the look of the sausage because it gets rather mushy, you can of course cut it into small pieces by hand and spread the tuna separately. Now spread the ingredients for the topping on the tomato sauce, no matter in which form.
Finish with grated cheese, which you sprinkle thicker or thinner depending on your preference.
Cut the right and left sides of the dough, which you left free before, all the way to the tomato sauce. Always cut strips about 2 cm wide.
A little tip: I always cut them diagonally so that the braid can be woven better.
Now you start at one side (in my case I have always taken the side from where the cuts lead away) and fold up the end piece. Alternately, take a strip from the left side and then from the right side and place it on top of each other until you reach the end. Again, fold up the end piece. Of course you repeat the whole thing the same way with the second braid.
The pizza braids are ready and you can put them in the oven. There they are baked approx. 15–20 minutes, depending on your oven and the desired degree of browning, at 220°C.
If two braids are too big for you, you can also make 4 small ones out of them. If you plate each one differently, they are also great for a party buffet.
Enjoy your meal!
Tip: Mark a line by clicking on it.
- Preheat oven | 220°C
- Place half a cube of fresh yeast and 180g of water in the Thermomix | 100°C / 1 min. / speed 1
- Add 400g flour, 50g olive oil and 1 tsp. salt | dough mode / 1:30 min.
- Roll out dough into 2 oval shaped pieces
- Put 400g peeled tomatoes and 2 tbsp. tomato paste into the mixing bowl | 15 sec. / speed 3
- Add 1 tbsp. pizza spice and a bit of salt and pepper | 5 sec. / speed 2
- Spread the tomato sauce in the middle of the dough – leave approx. 5cm free on the right and left side
- Pour a tin of tuna, 4 slices of salami and 2 slices of ham into the Thermomix | 5 sec. / speed 5
- Spread the ingredients for the topping over the tomato sauce
- Cut the uncoated part of the dough on both sides into 2cm wide diagonal strips
- Fold up the end piece from where the cuts lead away
- Alternately place the strips on top of each other from the right and left side
- Fold up the second end piece
- Put the pizza braids in the oven | approx. 15–20 min. / 220°C
- Print Recipe
- Only print Summary