Kaiserschmarrn – an Austrian Speciality
This recipe has been optimized for the Thermomix® TM31
The first time I discovered Kaiserschmarrn for myself was during a skiing holiday in Austria. This pancake like meal simply made a big impression on me. Kaiserschmarrn is suitable as a dessert or as a snack. Even cold Kaiserschmarrn still tastes super good.
Before I had my Thermomix, Kaiserschmarrn had to come out of the packet. But that has now changed, because there is no better Kaiserschmarrn than one that is freshly prepared – just like on my holiday in Austria.
How do I prepare Kaiserschmarrn in the Thermomix?
First you separate 3 eggs. Pour the egg white into the Thermomix and put the egg yolk aside. Then insert the butterfly and beat the egg whites for 4 minutes at speed 3.5 until they form beaten egg white. The beaten egg white must then be decanted and the butterfly removed.
Now the egg yolk can be added to the Thermomix together with 150g flour, 1 tablespoon sugar and 250g milk and stirred for 2 minutes at speed 5.
Now the dough should rise for 20 minutes. However, if you are very hungry, you can continue directly with the next step.
After 20 minutes, lift the beaten egg white up by hand. So you get a fluffy and loose dough. Then stir in the raisins by hand.
Put half of the dough in a pan heated with fat and bake for 2-3 minutes. Then divide the dough into small pieces using a turner or the Thermomix® spatula and continue baking until everything is golden brown. Then bake the other half as described above.
Before serving, dust the Kaiserschmarren with icing sugar. I prefer to eat custard with it, but apple sauce or cherry compote also taste sensational with it.
Enjoy your meal!
The Facts in a Nutshell
Kaiserschmarrn | Recipe for the Thermomix®
- 3 eggs
- 150 g flour
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 250 g milk
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tbsp. raisins
Hinweis: Die im Rezept angegebene Backzeit kann aufgrund von Temperaturungenauigkeiten bei den verschiedensten Backofenmodellen von der Backzeit, die du benötigst, etwas abweichen. Behalte das Gericht im Backofen – zumindest beim ersten Versuch – deshalb immer im Auge.
Alle Zeitangaben beziehen sich auf die Standardmengen an Zutaten. Wenn du kleinere oder größere Portionen zubereiten willst, kann es vorkommen, dass du die Zubereitungszeit dementsprechend anpassen musst.
- Separate 3 eggs; add egg whites to Thermomix, store egg yolk separately | Butterfly / 4 min. / speed 3.5
- Decant the beaten egg whites and remove the butterfly
- Put the egg yolk, 150g flour, 1 tbsp. sugar and 250g milk in the mixing bowl | 2 min. / speed 5
- Let the dough rise for 20 minutes (if you don't have time, skip this step)
- Fold in beaten egg whites and raisins (optional) by hand
- Fry half of the dough in a pan heated with fat for 2-3 min.
- Use a turner or the Thermomix® spatula to divide the dough into small pieces and let them brown golden
- Repeat process with other half of the dough