Crunchy Cereal – a delicious Breakfast Alternative
This recipe has been optimized for the Thermomix® TM31
Nowadays there are infinite varieties of cereals to suit every taste. But industrial cereals are full of sugar and never last long. In most cases, you don’t have much time in the morning to conjure up an elaborate breakfast. All this makes the morning even more stressful than it already is.
With my delicious crunchy cereal recipe it is possible for you to make crunchy cereal that is exactly according to your taste and will last for a long time! This crunchy cereal is as individual as you are and can be varied with every preparation.
All ingredients on the ingredients list can be changed at will. For example, coconut flakes, goji berries, cranberries, pumpkin seeds etc. are also suitable. However, the maximum amount of nut and grain mixture should never exceed 450g.
How do I prepare the crunchy cereal with the Thermomix?
First we prepare the nut mixture.
Add 50g hazelnuts, 50g walnuts and 75g sunflower seeds to the Thermomix and crush for 5 seconds speed 6. Then decant the crushed nuts.
Add 40g butter, 40g sugar and 80g water to the Thermomix. Mix this mixture for 1:30 minute at 100°C speed 1. If the butter has not melted completely, stir again for 15 seconds at speed 1.
Now add the nut mixture again. Also add 75g oat flakes, 75g wholemeal oat flakes and 15g chia seed or linseed. Mix everything on reverse for 20 seconds at speed 4.
Place the mixture on a baking tray lined with baking paper. It is important that it is spread out very thinly so that it also becomes crispy. You can spread the cereal with the spatula, but I find it easier to do it by hand.
Now you can spread it with grated chocolate or fruit.
Your cereal is then baked at 160°C for 20-30 minutes. Depending on the oven, the time can vary, so you should check every now and then whether the cereal has reached the desired degree of browning.
After the crushed cereal has cooled down, you can divide it into small pieces and keep it airtight.
And if you still don’t have time for breakfast in the morning, I can only recommend a to go cup. So you can enjoy your crunchy cereal always and everywhere.
The Facts in a Nutshell
Crunchy Cereal | Recipe for the Thermomix®
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 50 g walnuts
- 75 g sunflower seeds
- 40 g butter
- 80 g water
- 40 g sugar
- 75 g oat flakes
- 75 g wholemeal oat flakes
- 15 g chia or linseed
- chocolate, fruit etc. of your choice
- Preheat oven | 160°C
- Put 50g hazelnuts, 50g walnuts and 75g sunflower seeds in the Thermomix | 5 sec. / speed 6
- Decant milled nuts
- Add 40g butter, 40g sugar and 80g water to the Thermomix | 100°C / 1:30 min. / speed 1
- Is the butter not completely melted? | 15 sec. / speed 1
- Add milled nuts again; also put 75g oat flakes, 75g wholemeal oat flakes and 15g chia seed or linseed | reverse / 20 sec. / speed 4
- Spread the mixture thinly on a baking tray lined with baking paper
- Add grated chocolate, fruit and so on as desired
- Brown in your oven for 20-30 min. at 160°C
- After cooling, divide into small pieces and store in an airtight place
Note: The baking time given in the recipe may vary slightly from the baking time you need due to temperature inaccuracies in different oven models. Always keep an eye on the dish in the oven – at least for the first attempt.